On Monday, I asked you to offer up your opinion about this year's Tony Awards in a quick survey, and boy did you respond. You'd think we were giving away an iPad--so many of you clicked to voice your thoughts on the 2011 telecast.
So what did you think?
Here are the results!
- A whopping 97.51% of you watched the Tonys. I assume the other 2.49% were in Antarctica.
- On a scale of 1 to 10, here's how you rated the show:
- 36.65% gave it a 10
- 30.12% gave it a 9
- 23.91% gave it an 8
- 9.43% gave it a 7 or less
- That's a 90.57% 8+ rating
- Comparing this year's telecast to last year's telecast:
- 69.88% said it was much better
- 25.16% said it was better
- 2.80% said it was the same
- 1.24% said it was worse
- .93% said it was much worse
- Your favorite part of the telecast was:
- Production numbers - 37.58%
- Opening number - 24.22%
- The host - 21.43%
- Finding out who wins - 4.04% (this was shockingly low, IMHO)
- Acceptance speeches - 2.48%
- Other - 10.25%
- Your least favorite part of the telecast was . . .
- The answers that popped up the most were "Spiderman's number" and "Acceptance Speeches" (sorry, Mark Rylance)
- Your favorite musical number was . . . (not what you think)
- How to Succeed - 25.16%
- Anything Goes - 24.84%
- Book of Mormon - 22.67%
- Catch Me If You Can - 10.56%
- The Scottsboro Boys - 10.25%
- Sister Act - 2.80%
- Priscilla, Queen of the Desert - 2.48%
- Spider-Man - 1.24%
- We asked what you would suggest to the Tony Producers to make it a more exciting evening. Here's what came up the most:
- "More production numbers."
- "More numbers."
- "Make sure that Neil Patrick Harris hosts every year."
- "More performances"
- "Neil Patrick Harris! Neil Patrick Harris! Neil Patrick Harris!"
- "More performances, or at least a montage of sorts."
- "All Neil Patrick Harris all the time."
- "Less talking, more musical numbers."
- "Lots of production numbers."
- "Get Neil Patrick Harris to host every year."
- (I think you get the drift)
Based on the above, a huge success, I'd say. Big props go the Broadway League, the American Theater Wing, and the GM of the Tonys, Alan Wasser Associates, for raising the bar on our biggest night.
And thanks to all of 97.51% for watching and all 100% of you who shared your opinions in our survey!
(Got a comment? I love 'em, so comment below! Email subscribers, click here, then scroll down, to say what's on your mind!)
- Come to our Writer/Producer Collaborator Speed Date on June 21st. RSVP here!
- Enter to win 2 tickets to see Love, Loss, and What I Wore Off Broadway! Click here.
- My next Get Your Show Off the Ground seminar is coming up on June 25th. Get info here.
- The next NY Broadway Investing 101 seminar is June 28th. Get your ticket today!